PAOAY CHURCH

The Paoay Church is one of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the Philippines. The structure is made up of baked bricks, coral rocks, tree sap and solid lumber. The 24 buttresses were also placed on each side of the church for support; the reason why it is still standing after the earthquakes in the 17th century up to this generation.

THE HISTORY: the Parish founded by Augustinian missionaries, 1593. Cornerstone of church laid, 1704; of convent, 1707; or tower, 1793. Used before completion and kept in repair by the people under the joint Auspices of the Church and the town officials. Inauguration ceremonies, 28 February 1896.

In case of an earthquake and the main building collapses, the bell tower will still stand - the reason why the bell tower was separated from the main building. This tower was used as the observation post by the Katipuneros in 1896 during the Philippine revolution.  The bell tower also served as a status symbol for the residents.  The bell would ring loudly and faster during the wedding of a prominent people which is contrary for the poor.