BASILICA MINORE DEL SANTO NIÑO, Cebu City

Basilica Minore del Sto. Nino
The Basilica Minore del Santo Niño or Minor Basilica of the Holy Child is one of the minor basilicas in Cebu City. It is one of the oldest Roman Catholic churches in the country. Its current structure is situated on the same spot where the image of Santo Niño was found in 1565 by the Spanish explorers led by Miguel Lopez de Legazpi. The said statue is the same with the statue given by Ferdinand Magellan to the wife of Rajah Humabon, 44 years later, as a gift during their baptism on April 14, 1521 at the exact location of Magellan's Cross today.

Facade of Basilica Minore del Sto. Nino

THE HISTORY OF BASILICA MINORE DEL STO. NIÑO:
This minor basilica in Cebu City was founded by Rev. Andres de Urdanera on April 28, 1565.  The very first church structure was made from hard wood and nipa but it was burned down in November 1, 1566.  Thirty years later, 1605, the replacement of this church was started by Rev. Pedro Torres and was completed in 1626.  But, it was again destroyed by fire in March 1628.  The next structure was built immediately, using stone and bricks, by Rev. Juan de Medina, but it was stopped due to the low quality of bricks being used.

tourist spots in Cebu City

history of Basilica Minore del Sto. Nino
The foundation of this church was started on February 29, 1735 by Father Provincial Bergaño, Governor-General Fernando Valdes, Bishop Manuel Antonio Decio y Ocampo and Rev. Juan de Albarran who designed the structure.  The church that we can see today  is made from hard stones ordered by Fernando Valdes y Tamon.  This church was built in the same spot where the previous church stood and was completed in 1739-1740.

RELATED POSTS: