San Diego Pro-cathedral formerly known as San Diego Parish Church or St. Didacus Parish Church before, it was declared as a pro-cathedral in 1994. It is the only church in Silay City that features a dome which is like St. Peters in Vatican City.

It was established in 1776 using bamboo, cogon grass and nipa palm. Then it was in 1841 when this parish was constructed using stone and wood lead by Fr. Eusebio Locsin. A grander structure was made in 1925 and replaced the old church. A wealthy sugar baron, Don Jose R. Ledesma from Silay , donated some parts of the funds in building the new structure. Lucio Bernasconi, an Italian architect was chosen to design the new structure wherein he took an inspiration from Italy.

HOW TO GET HERE | From Silay airport, take a long walk going to the main gate, then rode a tricycle going to Rizal Street/highway (BDO) for 60 pesos and then take a tricycle going to this church. You can also walk along the street beside BDO, just don't forget to ask the residents.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.