A Quick visit in Barasoain Church, Bulacan

Barasoain Church
The Barasoain Church is also known as Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Parish, a Roman Catholic church built in 1630 in Malolos City, Bulacan. From Bulacan Provincial Capitol, we rode in a tricycle to and alighted in front of the church. It was early in the morning so we had time taking photos without people on the background. Disadvantage? The church was open but the museum was closed. I was stunned by its structure, thus, standing in front of the facade was remarkable.

 The facade has a Neo-Classic touches and its rounded pediment is echoed by the arches and rose window at the lower part.
THE HISTORY OF BARASOAIN CHURCH: It was originally part of Malolos until its official separation on August 31, 1859. In 1903, it became part of Malolos again. The old church, constructed by Rev. Francisco Royo, O.S.A., was destroyed by fire in May 1884 but rebuilt by Rev. Juan Giron, O.S.A., in 1885. This church was the seat of the Revolutionary congress which convened from the middle of September 1898 to the last week of February 1899 under the presidency of Pedro A. Paterno. Among the important measures passed by the congress was the Malolos Constitution drafter chiefly by Felipe G. Calderon.

It was a temporary residence of Gen. Aguinaldo and this church witnessed three important events in Philippine History: First, the convening of the First Philippine Congress on September 15, 1898. Second, drafting of the Malolos Constitution on September 29, 1898 to January 21, 1899. And third, the inauguration of the First Philippine Republic on January 23, 1899.

HOW TO GET TO BARASOAIN CHURCH, BULACAN: Take a Baliwag Bus bound for Malolos and alight in Malolos Crossing. Then, ride in a tricycle to this church. Just a walking distance,  on the same street, you can find the Jose Conjuangco Mansion, Casa Real Shrine and the Malolos Cathedral.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.